Padova Cairo Soliya

Padova Cairo Soliya

domenica 14 ottobre 2012

Week One

Hi everyone,

It was good to meet you all on Friday, I hope some of you doubts were clarified and that you are now ready to embark on Soliya. First of all can I ask those of you who haven't yet done the survey to complete it please.

This week all of you will be starting Soliya and you will have your first chat session. A lot of the time will be spent resolving technical issues and understanding how the software works, but don't worry, it gets better!
After your session remember to select, copy and paste the text chat into a word document and then send it to yourself and also to me (francesca.helm@unipd.it).
Also you have to write your diaries and send them as a comment to this post in the blog. Also read each other's diaries and comment to them too if you like, you may have advice to give!

Why write diaries?
It is not sufficient simply to have an experience in order to learn. Without reflecting upon this experience it may quickly be forgotten, or its learning potential lost. It is from the feelings and thoughts emerging from this reflection that generalisations or concepts can be generated. And it is generalisations that allow new situations to be tackled effectively. (Gibbs, 1988, p. 9)

Reflective writing gives you the chance think about what you are doing more deeply and to learn from your experience. Writing your thoughts down makes it easier for you to think about them and make connections between what you are thinking, what you are being taught and what you are doing. Your written reflection will also serve as a source of reference and evidence for your final paper. It will help you understand the journey you have gone through and see the progress you have made.
In your reflection, you could write about:
• what you did,
• what was good and bad about it,
• why you found it good or bad,
• what you found easy or difficult,
• why you found it easy or difficult,
• what you liked about what you did,
• why you felt like that,
• how you might want to follow it up,
• what other people did and why they did it,
• what other information do you need,
• what you are going to do differently in this type of situation next time,
• what steps you are going to take on the basis of what you have learned,

Enjoy!!

9 commenti:

  1. Hi everybody!
    I had today my first session of Soliya project. Before starting the session i was a bit worried...how it would have been, about my not perfect english, who would have been my 'friends' in the chatroom, if i would have found difficult to express my self.. but everything now is passed. The girl of Soliya team are very kind, they help you to understand what others said and they stimulate you to speak and give your personal opinion. I found useful have the word-reference web site page open, like you suggest us.
    We spoke today about our life, where we live, what we study, our hobbies and passions. We made a joke to know each other better, saying about us one thing false and the other two true, asking the others guys to guess, it was so funny, we laugh a lot!i think it was a good way to make us more confortable with that situation, it helps me a lot. Then we have a discussion about personality, religion and nationality, so we could understand our point of view and be more talking, it works well, we had a great change of opinion. Unfortunately the hours have passed, and the time to close the chatroom arrived. i'm already excited for the next week, it's going to be more and more interesting!

    RispondiElimina
  2. Hi! I’m Monica and I did my first session of Soliya yesterday! I was quite excited and I was in the chat room 30 min before the start! Then the facilitator told us that we were starting in few min so I turn on my webcam and we started the conversation.
    First of all, the facilitator explained us how to speak and to write in the on line room and told us some rules like ‘be on time’, ‘don’t eat’!
    We were about 8 or 9, 3 boys and the others were girls. There were 2 Europeans, 2 Chineses, 2-3 Arabians and the others were from America.

    Firstly, we presented ourselves describing where we were and what we were seeing from the window.
    After that we did two nice games. The facilitator told us to take a piece of paper and a pencil to draw. She told us to draw 2 big ears, 2 small eyes and so on.. at the end everybody was thinking about an elephant but it wasn’t. The purpose of the game was to understand the importance of what we think without knowing exactly what we have in front of.
    Next, we had to put in order from the most important to the less 5 categories and explain why. For example, I chose personality and friends because they ride on each other and they help me to be always myself.
    At the end we said our thoughts and emotions about the session and it was finished!

    Two hours are quite hard to do, especially if I had to go to the toilet!
    There were some problems with the audio or the webcams and there were a lot of silent moments. I think the next session will be better and faster!
    Good luck to everyone,
    Monica

    RispondiElimina
  3. Hi guys!
    Monday I had my first session with the other members of my group in Soliya. The session had start in time but we spent quite an half a hour to understand how to do in order to talk (press or not the buttom "lock"), and to comunicate to the other guys that their mic didn't work and finally our facilitator told us some rules that we have to respect.

    My group is composed mostly about middle-eastern guys, then there are 2 Italians and 2 Americans.
    The first activity was a game in which we had to introduce ourselves, describing what we do in our free time, our hobbies etc...

    After that, we did another two games.
    Initially, the situation was quite imbarassing, there were a lots of silence moments; but with when we touched the theme of religion, everybody started to share with the group his or her ideas about the topic. It has been a very interesting conversation, because everyone has an ideas very different between the others, even if of the same cultures!

    What I found more difficult it has been listen and understand the other members because of the very different accents and speed.

    I learnt some new words and expressions like:
    -muffled voice
    -to feel envy
    -to spoil
    -IT consultant

    Look forward to doing the next session!
    Bye bye!
    Jessica Tellatin

    RispondiElimina
  4. Hi!! I just finished my first session and I am very excited about it.
    I was very nervous before starting today, but when I entered the main room there was already my facilitator Ingrid and other two guys who helped me a lot in learning how to speak and what button to push :) (it was a bit tricky at the beginning).
    Then we started introducing each other a little bit, while waiting for the others to arrive into our chat room.
    When we all were together we had to face some technical problems (mic, audio...) but it was nice because everyone did its best to help and "confort" people who had troubles with technology..
    We started to talk about ourselves, what is like where we live, what did bring us to take part in Soliya. Then the moderators asked us to write down 7 elements of our identity which could represent ourselves. I could understand that everyone in my group is open minded and curious to get to know each other, even if we all come from different back grounds, religions and countries.
    We discussed about what our expectations are, our fears and concerns.. then we talked about ground rules for our future sessions.
    My first impression is that I like my group very much, we are all similar but at the same time different, and that's amazing because it gives the opportunity to discuss in a genuine way, without fighting. My group is very balanced, there are some people from Middle east realities, both arabs and catholics, and also American students, gewish, atheist... So I think our diversity can lead to an effective discussion.
    As far as english language is concerned, I was very worried at the beginning. They all speak an excellent english and this concerned me a bit.. but I think that the more I will get used to speak, the more I will feel confident in my capabilities. The other participants are very good and I can understand them well, even if they have quite different accents and intonations.
    I hope my next session will be as exciting as this first one!

    PS.I had a problem with the copy&paste of my chat, unfortunately I wasn't able to save it!

    RispondiElimina
  5. Hello I have just finished my first meeting and I am really happy about it.
    I entered the main room a little bit earlier because I was quite worried about some technical problems. As soon as I entered the room I met some of my new friends and of course two great facilitators.

    At the beginning the situation was quite awkward because of the technical problems such as connection issues, general information about the program, continuing coming and going webcams and muffled audio. As a consequence, at the beginning the whole situation was a bit funny and we had to learn the " thumbs up or down" language in order to understand if the technical problems were fixed or not. Regarding the activities at the beginning we had to introduce ourselves recounting something about our life, then we had to draw an animal that the facilitator was desribing us. Even though the description was really easy it was misleading in fact we all ended drawing the wrong animal. This exercise has perfectly shown us how information can be misleading and false if not verified carefully. Towards the end of the meeting we had to write down on a piece of paper seven characteristic that define identity, and we gave quite different answers. Furthermore we also reasoned about the notions of nationality and boundaries.

    I think that the program was really interesting, and next time I want to speak even more. In this first session I tried to show my feelings and thoughts but it was quite hard to talk at the beginning not only because of the technical problems but also because of the new situation I was experiencing.

    RispondiElimina
  6. Luca Haddad

    Hi fellows!!!
    I have had my first meeting in the soliya's chatroom tuesday.

    Initially I was worried because my speaking is a little weak...instead I have found this first experience very funny and usefull! Because all the guys and girls have been friendly, expecially the dudes from U.S.A. who have told me to be chilled and not worried about my speaking and that they will help me to improve my english!!!

    We have talk about ourselves, where we live and what we study, and then we have fixed some common rules for our conversations like the respect of each opinion in order to listen and understand all the different perspectives about a topic.

    At the end the facilitators have asked to us if we would have pleasure to talk about religion and the majority said no!!!...but at the end we have found ourselves very attracted by this topic that will be the core of the next session :)

    Sometimes we have had some troubles with the internet connection or with the audio, but globally I am satisfied and glad, so see you the next week!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Hi everyone,
      I had my first soliya session this week and on one hand I'm glad, on the other hand I'm worry.
      First of all, speaking in a videoconference is difficult, because of technical problems but also because you cannot see faces very well.
      the voice is not clear so the facilitators write evry time what was told.
      we are very dependent on the facilitators!
      I'm glad because I found that my group is very friendly and I appreciate it a lot.
      the first emotion when I saw my fellows' faces was 'oh my God, we're online together and we're so far from each other'.
      We talked about ourself and our studies, the origin of our names, our dreams etc..
      In the very last part of the session we started to talk about religion... everyone seem to be scared! we fear to offend someone.
      The topic wasn't develop and the facilitators asked us to define the terms 'western' and 'muslims'.
      everyone was given the time to speak but time was short.
      lastly, we said goodbye each other in our language!
      I feel excited and I hope to enjoy next week.
      I wish people won't be embarassed next time :)

      Elimina
  7. Giada Zanella

    Hi everyone!

    Yesterday I had my first session of the Soliya Connect Program, and I enjoyed it a lot.
    I was the first to log in, so I had the chance to talk and get to know the facilitators, who explained me how to use the chat room and made me feel at ease almost immediately. They are very kind, friendly and helpful.
    Then, one by one, the other members of my group logged in as well: two girls from the US, a guy from the US as well but he's of African origin, a girl form Egypt and a guy from Tunisia. It was a bit embarassing at the beginning, because we had many technical problems, but once we started the activities we forgot about that and got involved in the discussions. Moreover, I was less talkative than usual at first, but then I decided to put my shyness aside since I don't want to waist any time of these chat sessions.
    The first activity was about introducing ourselves, saying our name, where we're from and showing the room we were in. The second one was a game, named "two truths and a lie", we had to say three things about ourselves, two of them were true and one was false. I was really surprised to see that we almost got them all right! Plus, nobody, except for one girl, believed I was a biologist (I study languages)...am I so predictable?? Anyway, it was a simple but very entertaining way to break the ice.
    The third activity was choosing three topics from a list and using them to describe ourselves. Most of us chose friends, family and hobbies, and nobody talked about nationality or religion, which made me realise that they might be controversial topics... but discussion is the aim of the chat session, isn't it? Anyway, I've already learned so many interesting things thanks to this activity: I've learned about politics in Egypt, life changing in Tunisia, Lebanese and Syrian princes... it all really fascinates me.
    Finally, we ended up talking about cultural and national identity. I found myself agreeing with the American girls, but not very much with the Egyptian one, which proved how different we all are culturally. And this is exactly what I expected from this group: confront, compare, discover, widen and, why not, change my mind if I think I should.

    Overall, I'm satisfied and I'm looking forward for the next time, since I think discussing with people from all over the world is once in a life oppurtunity.

    PS: I'm so sorry, I forgot to copy and paste the text chat...

    RispondiElimina
  8. October, 17th
    Today i had the first online meeting with my Soliya’s group.
    First of all we introduced ourselves and checked the technical problems that some of us had. That last point took quite long and one of us (Ahmed) was not present for most of the meeting due to technical problems. There were Sonia, Anisa, Christopher, Mohammed, Saarif, Ahmed and me.
    After introducing, we starting the debates. The first questions the facilitators asked us was about our name, if they have a particular meaning and if they identify us. Then we shifted to identities and what identify us as what we are. We said we are identified by our personal experiences, by what good and bad times teach us, and by country and religion. We agreed that, in order to make others understand us, we are the first ones who have to understand ourselves and our backgrounds. The confront with others may be a way to reach this goal.
    Even if at the beginning everyone was pretty shy, we reached a better comfortable status and everyone felt free to talk and express their opinion. It was good, because we had different point of views (e.g. Muslim tent to see the role religion plays as more important in defining the identity of a person) and we had a good sharing.
    At this point Ahmed joined the conversation. The topic switched to the Tunisian and Egyptian revolution, what the foreigners think about it and how the Egyptian and Tunisian presently there had lived it. They said that the situation improved from the past, but there is a lot of confusion, a lot of work to do. People, they said, have to work together to achieve common goals, in the respect one of the other and with a deep believe in God. They pointed out what are the biggest differences noticeable after the revolution: the high unemployment rate and the amount of liberty accorded to women (now they can work, and they work as hard as men). To go past the employment problem, the best solution is thought to be getting new small business, and the government is helping citizen opening their new own ones with loans. However, the situation is difficult and many people try, illegally, to emigrate to other countries, considered sort of “Heavens” to get easy money. They are not good regarded. Instead, going abroad to study and knowing foreign languages is considered a good point for one’s education. English is considered a worthy language to be known, but it is not taught is many school (there is a predominance of French).
    I hope I did good in this first session. I know it is not valuated with a mark, but I hope I did not annoyed anyone with my questions. I tried to talk as much as I could, but without talking over others. What I found the most impressive is how could it be that a group of strangers can meet online and start talking about their lives, their experiences, sharing deep thoughts.. it was wonderful. An unbelievable, amazing people. For a rare time in my life I felt the world as something living, where people are actually working and actively doing something for it, for us.
    I hope that in the next session the all of us will be present and the all of us will talk more. There was someone who felt shy and did not talk much. But I think this will improve as soon as time will go by!
    Cla

    RispondiElimina