Padova Cairo Soliya

Padova Cairo Soliya

lunedì 16 marzo 2015

Week Two

Hi everyone
I've just been reading your diaries and am delighted to see that MOST of you got on ok in your first session, not too many technical issues and you managed to communicate with your group, that's great!!
You will feel more and more comfortable with the technology and in your interactions very quickly, you'll see.  Tryt o be pro-active in your discussions, don't always wait to be asked questions, but participate in the discussion, and also try to ask others' questions. If you have trouble understanding, use the text chat to ask for help, repetition, people to slow down.

Regarding language issues and your diaries - a couple of points:
the (grammatical) difference between say and tell:
you say something, you can say that ... and you can say something TO someone
you tell somebody something - but you can't  'tell something' or 'tell that'

sounds confusing - is that clear? Here is a page with some info on reporting verbs
ELT reporting verbs
and also some exercises.

Also a note on difference between purpose (the aim of something) and to propose (make a suggestion or make a proposal).

Keep up the good work and enjoy this week's sessions!

Please post your comments to week two here

Francesca

11 commenti:

  1. Dear diary,
    Last Monday my second Soliya’s metting has left.
    This time were only four of us plus two our facilitators because Santasia and Paula didn’t connect.
    As first thing, Bochra said us that she logged in very late last week because she couldn’t find a taxi to take her from university to library where she connects every week.
    After that, we started talking about how was the weather like in our city and we discovered many different situations because while was snowing in the USA, in Morocco was sunny and hot instead in Italy and Germany was raining.
    So, Manar the facilitator, asked us to traduce two English word: “rain” and “welcome” in Italian, Romanian and Arabic.
    We traduced and read them to the American guys because they were curious to learn words in other languages different from English and Spanish.
    Then Anee the other facilitator, asked us to share a situation with the group when we found difficult to talk in a foreign language.
    Michaela reported her experience saying that when she went to Nicaragua, she felt nervous because she didn’t want to say anything offensive in Spanish.
    Meryem instead told us that when she was ten, she thought that the word “butter” means “children” in English.
    The next question was moving from the idea of languages talking about what characterized our own identity.
    Facilitators asked us to write in a paper seven things that we consider important to describe our own identity and then to remove four of them.
    After doing that, we had to present these seven elements to the others and explaining which we would keep and which one we would remove and why.
    All of us agreed that our identity is characterized by language, religion, education and life experiences, in particular Brian and Meryem said that we are all humans with life experiences and we should be global citizens without forget our original traditions.
    This was the answer to Manar’s question when she asked us which were the elements we were proud of the most or if we fell our identity threaten.
    In the second part of the meeting, we started talking about Huntington’s article after reading it as homework during last week.
    The main issues were established if US is still the “power of the world”, or if this position is changed in recent years.
    In Brian’s opinion, the US will not remain an international power and define “world power” as a lie because there are many economics, social and multicultural problems in the US.
    There’s also a general European and American closed-minded in relation to “islamophobia” after the recent terrorists global attacks by extremists groups.
    Meryem, who is from Morocco and is Muslim, said that “islamophobia phenomenon” for her is ridiculous and media tries to manipulate people getting one side of the story.
    We all agreed that “islamophobia” came from ignorance and bad education because “crazy individuals” are in all cultures, so we shouldn’t think as pessimists but only if we are awareness of cultures differences, we will promote values of democracy and liberalism.
    We also have to reflect about our role in the society, listening how other people have to say, examining what is right or wrong in order to avoiding anxieties, prejudices and reactions.
    In any case, religion shouldn’t be the only cause of difference between cultures, but a fundamental source of conflicts is often economic.
    Facilitators told us that we had a great discussion defining this second meeting as productive, interesting, enlightening, educational and empowering.
    We had our first discussion and I was proud to confront myself with the other guys of the group.
    At the end of two hours, greetings concluded our second Soliya’s meeting.

    Federica

    RispondiElimina
  2. Dear diary,

    On Monday 16th, I’ve done my second session of Soliya Program. This time we were less than the last time, nevertheless we were able to have a conversation about different topics.
    First of all, Sushmita, the facilitator, asked us what are our expectations from this program and if we have any concerns about that. I love to talk with people who have different points of view because we can share our ideas; the only concern about this program is do not have enough time to establish a productive dialogue.
    The facilitator said us that the topic of the second session would be the IDENTITY. She asked us to take a piece of paper and a pen and to write down two or three aspects of our identity strongly relate with three areas: our origin, our personality and our relationships with other people.
    If I think about my origin I could say that I’m Italian; but if I have to say what I really think, I feel myself more European than Italian. The awareness to be Italian is going to disappear between young people; “the world is becoming smaller” as says the article ‘The coming clash of Civilisations’. About my personality, I had some difficulties to choose an aspect very strongly relates with me. Some people in my group define themselves “not very funny and quite”; I think one of the best word to describe myself could be meticulous. About this topic, Nicholas said a very strong sentence : “Someone who doesn’t identify with something in his life, really is not living for anything!” . Everybody identify ourselves with something, otherwise we couldn’t give sense to our life.
    Sushmita asked us to think about the emotions connected to identity in relationship with others; Muslim guys said they feel defensive about Islam, they can have relationships with others people but what is need is the respect of different religion. The identity plays a very important role in communication; to share experiences is a big part of communication, so when we don’t have that it could be difficult to communicate.
    In the last part of session, the conversation continued around two questions: the identity defines ourselves a 100%? Is it possible to relate with each other without our identity defining relationships? In the group there were different opinions because Ammar and Zohaib said that we can communicate without identity defining relationships, if we accept each other to share our thoughts; in my opinion is not very easy to share thoughts without the influence of identity. It could be easier to communicate with people similar to me, otherwise we have to be very opened up to a lot of different points of view.
    Sushmita in the end of the session talked about the final project, in which we have to explore a topic that we believe will elicit diverse perspectives, with a partner of our group. It could be a very interesting opportunity to deepen the relationship with one of member of the group. I hope that next session will be interesting like the second one!

    Veronica

    RispondiElimina
  3. Questo commento è stato eliminato dall'autore.

    RispondiElimina
  4. Dear Diary,

    Last Wednesday I had the second session of Soliya, and it was more difficult than the first one because there were also two American students. Their names are Rafael and Dominique and come from the University of Marymount, in Virginia. They talk very fast, and I had a few problems to follow their discourse. Even Gena and Salma, the new facilitators (Basant had some personal problems, so he couldn’t participate to the session), had some difficulty on writing all the things they said. I was a little embarrassed, because all my peers talk very well, and during the session they appeared to be very at and relaxed. However, the discussion was very interesting and I had fun.
    We began with a game where we had to say “I understand” in our own language. After this, we tried to say the same thing in other languages. I tried to say “I understand” in Arab but I don’t know what I really said because Rabin laughed.
    When all group was connected we started with another game to know each others better. We wrote in a piece of paper our seven qualities, and in a second moment we had to scratch out three elements and then scratch out other two elements. The remaining qualities had to be the most important for us. Then we had to explain in turn what we wrote and why we scratched out the others five qualities. We spent almost an hour for this game because it caused an interactive discussion, during which all of us asked to the other why he/she chose those qualities. I said that I was an empathetic person, and Rafael said me that this quality is important, especially now that we live in an insensitive world. We spoke about politicians, and that they often do a rational work, even if it seems that they do not have any sentiment since there are many conflicts in the world that are conditioned only by the exploitation of natural resources.
    After that we tried to find the similarities and the differences between what we had said. We noticed that qualities like family, religion and nationality are the most important for all the members of the group. Evelien noticed that all the qualities that we chose were positive ones, and Salma said us that she had done this activity many times, and she had never heard someone saying something negative about themselves: in her opinion, it is interesting to see that we usually don't see our faults as part of our identity. I think that what Salma said was very interesting: in my opinion, we always try to show the best of us to the other people, but we try to hide the rest.
    We talked a lot about this and at the end we said that we can do some generalizations between our qualities, but we have to take into consideration the complexity of our identities and our culture.
    Finally, Salma told us that the next week we will talk about the final project, and that we have to think of one topic that is interesting for us and that will be compared with the opinion of the other people of the group.
    I’m looking forward to the next session! See you soon!!

    Lucia

    RispondiElimina
  5. Dear diary,
    This week was my second section at Soliya; fortunately, I had less problems with connection and better audio than the fist time, so I was able to understand more clearly.
    I was disappointed because I expected to discuss with my fellow students about more precise matters.
    There were 2 texts to read and a video to watch during this section.
    The first text is about the coming clash of civilizations. The author says the world is divided in different civilizations, and we agreed.
    Then we talked about what are the differences among civilizations; these differences concern culture, tradition, language, social and economic interest and technology.
    We learned that the social media differs from one country to another, for example, in the USA it tends to show ISIS more powerful than what we are made to believe, while there is a stronger organization that controls it.
    Then most of us agreed that western countries tend to promote their principles of democracy and liberalism as universal values, but it's wrong to generalize, because not all nations reason the same way.
    The second reading talks about differences between the Arab and the American culture, and we discussed about the importance to respect other cultures, so we then went to the video where we listened to Mohamed Younis who was talking about disrespect of the western policies toward Muslim countries; most of us and , in particular, my fellow students who come from Morocco and Tunisia agreed.
    We also spoke about spring holidays.
    Finally, we talked about 3 topics that we would like to discuss over the course of the semester; I'm curious to know what we will discuss!
    Omega

    RispondiElimina
  6. Diary: Tuesday 17 March 2015

    This second week of Soliya programme the participants were only three students: a boy from Morocco, another from America and me.
    I thought that some university were on holiday; I hope the students of my group will be present next week so that session could be even more interesting.
    We started telling why we decided to participate in Soliya; then a facilitator asked us to speak on the first word or sentence that comes up in mind when we listen these words:
    - Arab
    - Israel
    - USA
    - United Nations
    - West
    - Terrorism
    The answers were interesting and the debate was focused in particular on the last word: terrorism. In fact, a boy had identified the terrorists as savages but I disagree with this opinion: for me terrorists are much more than savages; I told an article of the newspaper about the terrorist attack in Pakistan, against the Christians in a church, people who were praying. The facilitators spoken also remembering episodes of tragic events occurred in Ireland (since 1970 the IRE constituted the armed wing of the opposition) and France, the recent terrorist attack on headquarters of Charlie Hebdo in January 2015. This topic I was very involved my emotions. All students agreed about the political motivations.
    After this debate, the facilitators proposed a game: to write in a paper seven features or things that make us special people and then to order in our evaluation of importance. Everybody told its features: in the end the things most important were the family and the activities that we do for others.
    I enjoyed this session and the work of relation between facilitators and guys.

    RispondiElimina
  7. Dear diary

    Monday 16 march, it was my first meeting at Solyia I’m happy to participate at this project because I think that is a good opportunity to know and speak with other students, in particular students of other religions, cultures and states.
    The last meeting I had a problem with my personal computer and for this reason I didn’t participate.
    In my group there are two facilitators, the first is a woman Kate Sweeney an New York citizen, the second is a man, Ivan Pribicko, now he live and work in Denmark but he was born in Slovakia other members of my group are from West Virginia, Punjab, Dubai, Kuntacky, Palestine.
    During the last meeting ours facilitators they asked us to introduce ourselves.
    In addition Ivan and Kate ask to indicate 7 words that represent our personality, another play was indicate 3 way, that we like or represent our, one was false and other two true, other people had to guess the false claim.
    At the end of meeting we have decide the argument for the next Monday.
    At first I was a little nervous, I did not know anyone and I was afraid of not understanding other member of my groups.
    During the meeting I had difficult to understand my company because other people had problem with the connection and often the quality of audio it was no good, but is possible communicate with chat and this facilitate the communication.
    For next meeting we talk about the concepts of identity and difference.


    Paolo.



    RispondiElimina
  8. Dear diary,
    Last Wednesday I had the second session of Soliya.
    Since Wednesday we have a new facilitator: Mr Derek from Washington but born in Egypt. I felt very happy because he speaks very slowly and I can understand very well what he says.
    There were also three new students: Youness and Yasser from Morocco and Janae from Virginia. The other two students of last session were missing. Unfortunately three of us had some problems to connect so we lost the first half hour while they tried to connect.
    Initially we introduced each other and Amani resumed for the new guys what we covered last week.
    Then Derek introduced us the week’s topic: the identity. He explained us that the goal for this activity is to be aware of your identity. He asked us to take a paper and to write the seven most important things about our identity. We had five minute to write them down.
    I wrote: I’m woman, I’m Italian, my language, my culture, my religion, my politics views, relations with other people. I found very difficult to choose only seven aspects of my identity, I would add mentality, beliefs…
    When finished Derek asked us to cross out two aspects that are less important than the others and then cross out other two again. We were left with the three items critical for our identity.
    We were asked to share with the rest of the group the original seven elements and to explain why we removed some items and how we felt after taking them out. Also, Derek invited us to talk about the themes which were common among us and why they were common.
    During the discussion emerged that the gender and religion affect all us and how the identity is very important for the communication with people of other cultures. The interaction with people from other cultures help us to understand our mentality and how we engage with difference.
    Finally, we discussed about the theme for the next week. Everyone proposed one or two topics then we voted. The focus for the next session will be the terrorism.
    I think we decided for this theme because last Wednesday, few hours before our meeting, some terrorists attacked the visitors of Breda Museum in Tunis and we were upset about this further fierce aggression. I hope we will speak peacefully about this topic.
    Next week we will address also the final project.
    I’m very happy of my group and I look forward to meet they again next session.

    Marina

    RispondiElimina
  9. Dear diary,
    last Tuesday I had the second session Soliya.
    I am very happy to partecipate, because we treat very interesting topics. Everyone says their thoughts on the issues discussed.
    Also this week I did not have technical problems, i was able to communicate with my friends very well.
    In the first part of the lesson, our facilitators have proposed some elements/categories including: Religion, Nationality, Family, Personality, Land/ Home.
    We indicated between these elements which reflect ourselves, for me the family is the first place, then the personality, and finally the land/home.
    I indicated the reasons for this preference, facilitators have asked me the reasons for this choice.
    I asked the guys in the group, why they put first religion. They replied that their religion is the most important thing.
    I started to talk to my friend Jamal, telling him that for me religion is not a problem. I like to talk to my friends about this theme.
    In the second part, the facilitators gave us the issues, we had to indicate with which we agree more.
    Themes were: i like pop music; I am not a religious person; family is most important; I like pizza; I love animals; my friends are like family to me; I want to have children; I don’t want to get married; I want to be happy.
    We indicated preferences with a numbering: again:1 = don’t agree, 2 = a little/maybe, 3 = agree.
    I indicated my preferences. I later indicated which of the other me reflect, I think I’m similar to Sarah and different from Jamal.
    Last part were treated the two readings, stating the reasons for which the religion in some parts of the world is first.
    I have indicated the policy as a cause, others have indicated the traditions of the states, others have indicated ideologies wrong as the cause.
    At the end of the "lesson", the facilitators have indicated themesto be discussed next week.
    the theme chosen was the Israel / Palestine conflict.
    shqiprim

    RispondiElimina
  10. Dear diary,
    this weeek i can't went to the meeting cause i was sick, i had high fever. Anyway Konner ( one facilitators) give me a resume of the meeting so i can make a description of the meeting.
    They started the meetin with an identity activity where hey had everybody think of seven things that described themself as a person, and then they had chose three that they felt at the time were most important to their identity, they had an interesting discussion about whether religion should “define” someone’s identity. Many of they talked about the choice to either strongly identify with their religion or not and how this choice can have both a positive and negative affect on how others see you. Many of they talked about how the negative perceptions of others can sometimes be the results of their prejudices or racism.
    During the discussion about the “In the Nature of The Relationship” readings they talked a lot about the arbitrary nature of the author’s use of the term “modern.” It seemed that many of they thought some countries in the “predominantly Muslim societies” were indeed “modern.” Many of they seemed to believe that Saudi Arabia was one of these countries.
    This conversation then went into the direction of “buzz words.” Many of they seemed to believe that one reason that Saudi Arabia is not perceived as “modern” was due to the media’s portrayal of Sharia Law. It seemed that many of they found this to be an unfair portrayal of both Saudi Arabia and Sharia Law. Zionism was then also mentioned as something that had also become something of a “buzz word” for the media.
    I'm very sorry to have lost this meeting and look forward the next.

    Bye

    Giada

    RispondiElimina
  11. Dear diary,
    so this second meeting has already passed, however there is still a plenty of time. Last Wednesday, I entered the meeting room 15’ before the scheduled time, and to my surprise, there were already some people connected. This time there were some new faces, those that couldn't take part the first time, I think because of spring break. We had the time to know us better, the opportunity to introduce ourselves to newcomers and we talked a bit of music that we like and the state in which we live.
    Then, Nora asked us to name the person we think is more similar to us and the one we consider most different. I, personally, found this “game” pretty difficult since we barely know each others, but at the end it was easier that expected, because we have chosen relying on our origin and all the others, few, information we had.
    Later we had to rank some statements about random topics, like music, food, family, religion, etc. the point of this game was to show as that even we come from different parts of the world with our own socio-cultural background we are more similar than we may think. related to this we started a discussion about how the appearance could influence our judgement and can trick the reality.
    We, then, started to talk about the first group of required readings: Huntington’s clash of civilization, the sources of conflict between Islam and Western world and Zaharna’s cultural differences. The discussion was intense, but always respectful, because there were different points of view about the importance of culture, religion and tradition that characterizes every single nation; but, this does not mean that there has to be a conflict between them, and that the differences don’t necessarily lead to a conflict.
    The possibility of a conflict, however, exists; one of the reasons for the persistence of this state of "no peace" is in the media; as those who have the power to show or not certain things / events or to present the news in a certain way, they can influence the collective thinking for or against an event, a person or even a nation. Even we, were not able to find an answer to why the existence of this type of situation, however, we were able to understand that we can talk and understand each other through dialogue, mutual respect and an open mind.
    It is interesting to note how people of different ages, different places and backgrounds could share so much when we speak about the peaceful cohabitation, not only between states, but all so between different peoples who live in the same state, the same city, the same neighborhood.
    We all agree that, in our societies, appearance or the “first impression” it’s a way to understand differences, but there are also other way too and it’s fundamental to go beyond to learn about other cultures, societies and ways of thinking and seeing life. The Soliya program it is a perfect example of how communication can help us to get to know many other information about cultures, apparently, different from our own. When it comes to indicate the differences between our various societies, it is undeniable that they are different, but before the differences there are many aspects that unite us, such as the fact that we are all human, we all have dreams to realize, we seek all to be happy, as Amine had suggested. For a peaceful coexistence we should accentuate the things we have in common, but we also should remember that differences are important too, since the latter enriches everyone of us. The so called “clash of civilization, that will dominate” could be prevented through dialogue, understanding, knowledge and mutual respect.
    Towards the end of our two facilitators asked us what topics are we interested in for the next week's meeting and our views on the conduct of the session. As always, the time spent together was well spent and definitely made me learn new things about my companions and the reality in which they live. I can't wait to see them again in the coming weeks and to start the work group.
    Maria







    RispondiElimina