Padova Cairo Soliya

Padova Cairo Soliya

lunedì 2 dicembre 2013

Week 7

Hi everyone
Sorry I'm late with my post this week - please post your comments to this message even if you already emailed them to me.
I've really been enjoying reading your diaries, your reflections on the activities, your interactions and your peers. I'm delighted that some of you have noticed improvements in your English, particularly increased confidence in speaking which is fundamental - what's a language for if not communicating??
Some of you have done the Life Stories activity, which is one of the more important activities in Soliya and in getting to know your group but also who you are, the events that have an impact on our lives and also political views - this isn't something we often find the time to reflect on. Others of you have had the opportunity to discuss the Palestine-Israel issue - which is a very complex one, and often leads to heated debate as there are contrasting opinions. Remember here it is not a question of finding a solution, or of saying who is right or wrong, what is most important in the context of this project is understanding WHY people feel the way they do, how the conflict has had a direct impact on their lives, and hence how it shapes their views. This holds for any of the topics you discuss - so remember to ask these questions - why do you think this?
An excellent film on the Palestine issue is: This is my land Hebron, made by two Italian film makers. I have a copy of it if any of you are interested in seeing it.
As for your videos - I'd like to hear more of your reflections on making these, what did you learn through this activity, and what have you learnt in watching each others' videos and reflecting on the differences, if any between them. Has this activity changed the way you view the news now?

Remember you also have to write a reflective paper on the project, and if you want to try and submit it for publication in Common Ground news you have to follow the criteria you have been given. I really recommend you try and go for this, it would look great on your cvs!! If you do want to try and would like me to check it for language, please send it to me by email. Deadline is December 6th for CG news, but the following week if you are doing it just for me.
We also need to have a final meeting - this could be on this Friday at 3.30 pm, or alternatively next Friday at 9.30 or at 3.30 - put your name and availability here
ENjoy the week!
Francesca

12 commenti:

  1. Today (Monday)I had a pretty bad connection and finally after trying 3 different PCs I was able to log into my Soliya account and access the meeting room. The Soliya tech staff was really nice and called me like 3 times, first I was really surprised and I didn't understand that it was someone from Soliya calling me because they were talking in a language I couldn't understand. But they called again and spoke in English and were really kind and tried to help. So I was pretty me feel better.

    When I joined my group half an hour late there were 3 girls from the US online and a boy and a girl from Egypt. They were talking about the protests in Egypt and we started having a good conversation about the situation in there. I was really impressed and inspired by what they shared, it was of course shocking to hear what they see and experience of the streets, but they told their stories with a glimpse of hope in their eyes and voice.
    I do keep informed about what's happening in Egypt but as an outsider it is difficult to understand the political agendas of al-Sisi and Mursi and all the differences. I'm also in no position to judge or really understand what/who is „good or bad“ for Egypt but I'm inspired by the Egyptian people that they are still full of hope, dreams and beliefs and keep fighting for them and keep going on the streets. The students from Egypt shared their point of view, their stories and also disagreed with each other and it just made me see better how complex the whole situation is. I'm in no position to „take sides“ but I'm so thankful for their insights and their sharing, which ranged from political and religios beliefs to personal experiences.
    I then asked the girls from the US for what reason/purpose they would go on the street and protest and reflected also on my reasons. It was really good to reflect as a group (3) on tis topic.

    We then went on to do the „life experience“ activity. We were just the 3 of us but I think exactly that made it possible for us to share really personal stories. Not just the story but also how it affected us and how we dealt with it. It made me feel really close to the girls as we went to smiliar stuff. Of course we also listed experiences an events which the others didn't, so we all had that unique point we tried to explain and share with the others. And how it changed us.

    In this situation it was really great to just be us 3 (+ Nahid our facilitator and the girl from Egypt who however wasn't able so share anything for the last hour due to tech issues). I believe in the big group we wouldn't have opened up the way we did between us. However it was said that again we were only 5, then 4 and then only 3.

    So when I was just at the point thinking „wow, we are actually becoming a real group“, when we were establishing that group feeling, we became fewer and fewer, session by session.
    I don't know if some people left the project, if the had/have tech issues, if they have other things to do, but we keep getting fewer and we have only one session left. So I don't really know how I should feel about it, because I'm disappointed that people don't show up, but then again being in a smaller group brought us on a more personal level.
    The first weeks our group feeling grew and we became more fluent in our disussions, it was like climbing a mountain, then we reached the peak and had 2 really amazing sessions. But since two weeks we (the group feeling and the flow) are in decline. But at the same time we (the few who show up) are growing as a group (and are maybe climbing our own mountain togehter).....
    I do hope that next week everybody will show up, just to see everybody again, have a last session, reflect together on te last weeks and have a good conclusion of the project.
    Carmen

    RispondiElimina
  2. Today it was my session. We were four of us and two facilitators. We started the session with a little game, an iceberg with Position and Conclusion in the top and under the water these words: Values, Intention, Assumption, Needs, Observation, Perception, Wound and Beliefs. Each of us expressed what could be represented in general. After that we talked about gender and women role in society, in our countries and common stereotypes about them. The topic was so interesting and very touchy for me, maybe more than I've expected. The members of the group were from US, a girl and a guy (so they talked about the topic from different points of view), the girl from Egypt and I. We have had the opportunity to talk about gender stereotypes in our countries and seeing big differences in our cultures. Of course the attention was focused in the Egypt girl because we were curious. I still do not know what happen with me, I started to feel myself overwhelm and I couldn't talk. Probaby I am very sensitive with this argument and after a while during the session I wasn't able to talk. The facilitator through private message helped me a lot. I was very interesting to hear the other opinions even if I couldn't talk and interact easily. I was very intense. Many feelings that I have to put in order and reflect about them. Next week it is going to be the last session. I am happy to be part of this program because I am learning a lot.

    RispondiElimina
  3. Dear Diary,

    It's almost the end. From the last session what mostly surprised me was one thing said by a Pakistani boy. He told about a Christian woman who was arrested recently because she criticized the Islamic religion publicly. He also said people asked for the capital punishment. That's impressive! All of this is happening now! Sometimes, or better very often, we forget that not everybody think in the same way. I mean, here in Italy the religious extremism hasn't spread and surely it couldn't affect the law. If it was so, millions of people would raise their voices against the freedom of speech abolishment. But when I listened that sentence I really understood what means freedom of speech and I also understood that I couldn't live without that. The boy also add that woman was wrong about her public disapproval since she lives with the 95 % of Muslims but he was not in favor of her death. Then, I shut up. I was shocked. I did not understand why they arrested her for those silly words pronounced in a public place. Then, I realized that maybe those words weren't really silly. Maybe they were meaningful and a kind of offensive to their God and religion. What doesn't care for me, it could care for others. Different cultures can cause misunderstandings. That's why we have to be tolerant and respectful even when we don't understand that culture.
    In the next final round I'll be the facilitator about the terrorism for 20 mins.

    Bye

    Clarissa :)

    RispondiElimina
  4. This week we had a really great time in my group. We started our session by saying “hi” to each other and then we spontaneously began asking questions about our native languages. We laughed when other people tried to say words in our own language and when they completely misunderstood what we had said. It was pure fun and a good occasion to feel closer as well. Once the recently passed away Nelson Mandela said: “If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart.” I guess I fully understood the meaning of this sentence last Tuesday.
    Then we have been asked by Rev and Lisanne to split into two groups. One group had to adopt a Muslim perspective and the other an American point of view. Then we had to choose a topic which creates conflicts between these two cultures and we had to find some possible solutions. At the end of this activity we had to present our work and our results. I believe this activity has been the most difficult so far. Not only was it demanding to adopt a way of thinking that could be completely different from mine, but I found also difficult to express myself properly in English this time. Indeed, I was afraid to offend other members of my group for example when I was trying to understand why do Muslim girls wear the veil. These are so personal and deep believes and traditions that deserve, in my opinion, a wide vocabulary to be dealt with. Although my English is quite good, when it comes to delicate topics I often feel uncomfortable with my skills. Yet, thanks to Soliya this difficulty is much more under control now.
    My group decided to deal with the gender theme and we proposed some solutions which could take place through the help of social networks: flash mobs, sharing photos in order to raise awareness and so on. During the activity we often felt unable to come to a conclusion but Rev cheered us up, he was very kind and helpful.
    Reading other people’s diaries I’ve noticed that in some groups there has been lack of attendance. I do feel lucky that my group is pretty unit and that we have been sharing a lot so far. Even our facilitators seem enthusiastic about our activities. Not it’s time to say goodbye, even if I’m sure I’ll keep in touch with some members of my group, as they are really special people.

    RispondiElimina
  5. WEEK 7

    On Monday I had my session number 7. This session was about different topics and activities, we talked about our video project, some girls shared with us their stories because we hadn’t enough time to complete the activity last week, we did an activity which was about drawing…lots of thing! Unfortunately three people were missing the session, so we were only 6 students. This was a shame in my opinion because the conversation could have been better.
    Unfortunately this time I had some tech problems and actually I missed about 10-15 minutes because I was trying to solve my problems with the tech supporter who helped me. At the end I managed to solve all problems, but I missed the first part of the session. The first activity was a little bit strange, we had to draw something in a paper related to our first memories and then we had to share it with the others through the webcam. It was strange because it was difficult for me to think ok my first memories and to draw them. Actually I hadn’t much time to think and draw, because the others have already started while I was trying to solve my tech problems. Someone drew a pen and a paper because once, when she was young, she wrote an article and this article was then published, so she was proud of this thing, someone drew a mosque: she wanted to share her first time she went to a mosque with her family. From the picture of the mosque we started a discussion about the mosque and especially about women who are not allowed to go to the mosques to pray in all countries. Diana, the girl who shared with us his experience when she went to pray for the first time, explained us how in Jordan, where she lives, there’s no problem if women want to go to the mosque, of course there are different places for men and for women, because they cannot pray all together. Abdul, who lives in Pakistan, said that in his country women don’t usually go to the mosque, it’s not forbidden, but normally we don’t see a woman going to pray, they usually stay at home. I didn’t know all this things, I knew that women in Muslim world usually stay at home, but I didn’t know this includes not going to the mosque too, so I was interested in the topic, and they explained me lots of things (I was the only student coming from the West during this session, the others were absent).
    I drew pyramids, because when I was young, at the Primary School I wanted to become an archaeologist, I loved everything which was related to the Egyptian world. Actually this was one of the first things that came to my mind, maybe I could have drown something different, maybe something more profound, but as I already said it was a bit difficult for me this activity, as I didn’t have the time to think.

    RispondiElimina
  6. After this activity we passed to another thing, we finished the “Life stories activity”, which we had begun the week before: two girls hadn’t had the possibility to share their three stories, but unfortunately one of these two girls missed the session, so just Diana spoke and this part of the session was very quick.
    She spoke about the Palestinians’ situation, she left Palestine to move to Jordan, about when she left school and got married and finally about her return to school, she discovered the passion of studying and she started the university because she realized she wanted to know a lot more about the world.
    The last part of the session was about the video project. We all had seen the others video during the video, but we had no time to discuss about the others video, to make comparisons or to say which video we appreciated more, we just discussed about general things, as for example the difficulties we had in making the video, the impression we had..
    I had some difficulties at the beginning because I couldn’t understand how to use the program, I had made some videos before, but we other programs, so I had some problems in understanding the program, but then everything was ok. The other students agreed with me on this point and we all agreed on the fact that the clips included were all about violence, protests, there was too violence shown. I didn’t want to make a video only about violence. Actually I tried to put something different in my video, but it was quite difficult as the clips weren’t of service. The last thing we discussed about, before the end of the session, was how we perceive the media now. Erin asked us if the experience of creating the video change the way we see the media, or the role of producer and if it made us think differently about the media we consume. We all agreed on the fact that with this experience we realized that when we produce a film or a video, we could choose what we want, we can create the perspective we want, so it changed a bit our opinion about the media. We realized that it it’s difficult to be unbiased, to be impartial, because we have opinions and it’s difficult to hide them when we create a video, but of course journalists and producers should try to report the facts as they are.
    Next week it will be the last session, I can’t believe we have already come to the end of the project, but I’m very satisfied, I learned a lot of things and I hope to keep into contact with the other students. I hope the last session will be fantastic, but I’m sure it will be!

    MARTA

    RispondiElimina
  7. Week 7
    Thursday I log in pretty late and because A.D.I. laboratory wasn’t available.
    Until I managed to find a computer my group was already talking about hijab and what significance has for a Muslim woman.
    So Hijab is the headdress and the overall clothing of Muslim women.
    I know that is optional in some parts of the world (and my peers from Muslim countries have confirmed that) and it is compulsory in other countries. it, is mandatory for women because Islam has introduced hijab as part of the decency and modesty in interaction between members of the opposite sex. A Muslim woman must wear hijab every time is going out or inside of her house if she has guests. Hijab is not a symbol of oppression. Women are oppressed because of socio-economic reasons even in countries where women have never heard about hijab. Neither does the hijab prevent a woman from acquiring knowledge or from contributing to the betterment of human society. Women are proud to wear hijab , Islam expects women to maintain their status by following Allah’s rules designed for their advantage. Hijab is one such rule.

    Eleonore out facilitator said that in her country (which is France) any religious or cultural symbols are not permitted in public. She asked what we think about it?
    I studied last year about this topic and I knew that France banned girls from wearing veils in state schools in 2004 – along with other religious symbols such as crosses or turbans . It is very difficult to give an answer . I knew that it was available for those who wanted to become citizens of France , but it seems that this rule is for everybody. I don’t agree with this interdiction, Muslim women must have same rights like any other European women , they shouldn’t be obliged to give up at headscarf, because it represent their cultural and religious identity.
    But on the other side , when you live in a foreign country you must accept and respect the rules that are there. I don’t’ know for example If I had to visit a Muslim country being European I should wear or not hajib? Different cultures and religions cause misunderstandings. Probably we should try to be more tolerant and respectful with the others.
    I enjoyed each session so far , Soliya it is a great experience in which I learned very much about people and Muslim world. I noticed that in other groups were boys or girls from Egipt who talked about problems about freedom and other important topics which happen in their country.
    In my group my peers from Muslim world never mentioned about disturbing issues that might be in their countries . I remember that each time I tried to brought up a topic or to put a question about something that was negative in relation to their society . Immediately I was assured that media is exaggerate or a real Muslim would not do that or this etc. It was like , they were acting in self-defence . But it doesn't matter probably I would have done the same .
    As I said above I really enjoyed this experience and I hope that I will remain in touch with some girls, already we connected through FB so I think is a big step.


    RispondiElimina
  8. I would like to ad week 6 as well is the week in which I didn’t managed to be online from home.
    My group talked about the video that each one of us had to make it. All I want is just to say a few words.
    In my video I wanted to highlight that represents of Muslim and Western world expressed clearly that ’’ Innocence of Muslims’’ should not be taken in consideration.
    I think the movie spread fear . Maybe the Muslims fear that enough people see this video and take it seriously ,and they as people will be less respected .
    I tried to watch it but after few minutes I lost my patience I founded boring , a bigoted, outdated propaganda film . And I don’t see any reason for which Muslim people should riot ,yell in the streets or burn the American flag. This kind of problems should be solved in an pacifist way.
    Also I think that Muslim people should stop playing the role of a permanent victim in relation to this matter . Many countries have had a difficult past and maybe the present as well is not a brilliant one for some of them. In Europe we don’t took to the streets for each stupidity that circulates from one person or place to another .

    RispondiElimina
  9. We're almost at the end!
    Last Thursday I had my penultimate meeting! It was great, as the others!
    We were asked to answer some questions like: "what is extremism?", "what is terrorism?", "how many definitions exist?"... and we were split in pairs and we had to answer to them in the breakout rooms. I was with Doaa, an Egyptian girl. I found it very interesting, and me and Doaa had almost the same ideas and we talked a lot! She also asked me more about mafia.
    Then, back in the main room, we shared our opinions and we talked about how media use the word "terrorism". We almost all agreed, but we realized that is not easy define which attaks are terroristic attack and which one not. For this reason we discussed about some real events like 9/11 and the one happened in Norway in 2011.
    Than, Rabih, one of the facilitators, asked us to think about the reason why people immediately asked for a psychiatric evaluation for the man responsible for the Norway attack, but no one thinks that people from Al Qaeda could be mad. This was an interesting point, and I really didn't know how to answer.
    Finally we learned more about US foreign policy in the middle east.
    I think this one was one of the best meetings! I really had the possibility to share my point of view, to ask for clarifications, to learn many things... So I'm really really satisfied! I really loved to talk with Doaa, because I learned that, even if we have two different cultural backgrounds, we share same ideas!

    I'm looking forward for the next meeting! Our facilitators asked us to bring an object that tells something new about us, and I'm really curious about that!

    Anyway, I must admit that I'm sad because we're almost at the end! I think that it was a great experience, and I really would like to continue! But unfortunately we're at the end, and there's only one meeting left!

    Francesca B.

    RispondiElimina
  10. Week 7
    This week was about gender roles. The discussion was really useful and interesting in order to understand other people's opinions and ideas. We talked about the concept of chivalry and the different views we all have about it. It was related to last weeks discussions about the same topic, but this time we were not split in two (male and female). The discussion went on for all the two hours and the facilitators had to stop us because we run out of time.
    Next week will be the last one and unfortunately we are up to the end of this experience.
    I noticed that during the past 3/4 weeks we became closer as a group and we feel free to talk about everything. The facilitators help us talking and getting everyone to talk, but we go on with the discussions by ourselves most of the time.
    Most of the people are really interested in the Muslims girls' opinion and now they are getting more self-confident and they share more.
    I am really sad because this was a great experience, but I am sure I will be able to keep in touch will some of my group-mates.

    Francesca F.

    RispondiElimina
  11. Week 8
    Today I had my last session in which we talked about our hobbies and other things that we enjoy to do in our spare time. Unfortunately James the boy from America couldn’t be online, he had an exam , he didn’t managed to join us for the last meeting.
    I am truly sorry because the program ended , I learned so much from each member of the group. We had a very relaxed discussion it was similar with the other sessions in which we have tried to know each other better chatting in the breaking out room.
    Cameron and Eleonore put some interesting questions at the end of session . I remember 2 of them
    1) What would you like the relationship between Western communities and predominantly Muslim communities to look like in 10 years?
    2) What would need to happen in your country to make that vision possible?
    I would like to see less misunderstandings and stereotypes between not only Muslim communities and western World but also between other foreigner communities.
    I believe strongly that a cultural mediator would be essential in every school who has foreigners children . In this way a person well prepared would be in charged to explain to children what does it mean to be a Muslim or Chinese or Romanian, Italian etc . To create an interesting and attractive project in order to involve every kid to educate them to teach them about the beauty of being different from a cultural point of view and to accept the other and to respect him. Through children we would educate the adults as well.
    I think we live important times and Globalization doesn’t meant only Economy , we have the Globalization of culture and this process allowed people to travel from their country to another. Globalization allowed different culture to immigrate into another and so on .We should have curiosity and interest in get knowing people with different cultural backgrounds.
    This was a great experience indeed!!!
    Stefan E

    RispondiElimina