Hi there
Sorry - a little bit late but here is the prompt for your Week Three diaries. Keep up the good work, and we'll talk about your experiences when we meet tomorrow at 12 in my office!
Francesca
martedì 1 novembre 2011
Iscriviti a:
Commenti sul post (Atom)
Week 3: Interesting
RispondiEliminaI have concluded that the missing people are not going to show and certain people that were on the first week will not come back. I believe I can say that our group will be normally of 6 people and 2 facilitators.
As usually, we started our meeting with a game. In this game we should say 2 sentences about our countries, on truth and the other false, and the group would guess which one is truth and which is false. They have show very interesting sentences, but most of the lies were easily discovered. I was the only on that show two sentences that everybody choose the wrong one, my sentences were: “In Brazil, when people go to the beach, they feel free to be naked or in topless” and “In Brazil doesn’t snow”. Everyone choose the second as the false one, but they were wrong, the first is the wrong one.
After that, we began with an activity that one of the facilitators have already send to us on the email. We should think questions to ask to some individual about there specific culture (music, art, politic, culture, religion...). One muslin girl, has asked about if all we live with our parents and at what age is OK to get out of home. Everyone answer and finally she said that in her culture she just get out home when she marries. This is something that I wander, how can she be so OK with her culture (what she is) with this kind of restrain, that is something that I can't understand.
The next question raises what we talk most of the meeting. Marta ask the girl from Tunisia about the elections over there. She was saying that the revolution brought back some restrictions that doesn’t exist, and at the same time people are being manipulated easily, especially about the election.
When we enter the principal theme, that was social movements and Arabic spring, we continued in the same discussion. First, everyone tried to define what they understand by “social movement” and if they have participated in any kind of movement. And from that, the talk evolved back to Tunisia, and what triggers people to get out in the street and begin a confrontation.
And continuing with the talk, the facilitators ask us if we think the revolutions is good or bad. Marta show an idealist opinion of that, opinion that was opposed from the girl from Tunisia, that had explained that a big number of people that she knows were questioning her about what the people in the revolution was dissatisfied with, she has explain that for a great number of people the word “constitution” don't have any meaning.
Keeping on the conversation, the facilitator ask us from Italy and the girl from USA, about the recent protest in this areas. Marta talked about the dissatisfaction of the people about the economic problems and how the government are restraining his own people. I have presented, with a point of view from an outsider, that I believe the people in Italy and Europe, wants the situation changes but they don't want to make anything to change, for example, they want the economy to get better, but they do not take way Berlusconi, a person accused of several scandals and corruption.
With that we finished our meeting. Was an interesting meeting, principally because we could hear the opinion of people that have lived the revolution and can give a close view of what is happening over there. It was the kind of meeting that I wish that it was longer.
This week we had the third meeting. At first we played a funny game named ‘truth and lie’, and I have seen, reading the blog, that it’s a normal game for Soliya maybe because it’s a very good method to broke the ice. Everyone said two sentences about its own country, one must be truth and the other one a lie. The day before the facilitators asked us to formulate some question about things we wanted to know about others countries culture, questions about religion or traditions ecc. So after the game we talked about this and some curious topics emerged, but most of all it was very interesting the discussion about the election in Tunisia. Wafa, a Tunisian girl explained us how they gone and her expectations and fear. All this conversation brought us to the main topic of the section, that we decided the meeting before: social movements and Arab spring. We tried to define ‘social movement’, more or less we were agree in defining it like a group of people who rise against the govern asking more rights and a better life to create a democracy system and it come up for social or political problem. After this we talked about the social movements in a more specific and actual way: movement in Egypt and Tunisia and the different movements in western.
RispondiEliminaIt was a very interesting conversation, we described the different situation in our own country and, at the same time, we explained our beliefs about what is happening in the world. It was very interesting to see how people can think about the same issue in a very different way.
The third meeting has been a really good one.
RispondiEliminaWe finally get the chance to tear all the taboos and prejudice down, and from now on I think we will be able to speak without barriers.
At the beginning of the meeting we started talking about stereotypes, defining what this term means to us. Some of us gave some concrete examples of some episode where they’ve been victim of a stereotype. To me, it happened when I was the US during a class. My professor asked me questions about the Italian Premier, and I think it was pretty clear, though it was implicit, that he thought that all Italians must be fall guys to support and vote someone who carries on a certain kind of politics.
Some of us never felt like they were victim of a stereotype, but they agreed that being classified without having the chance to express ourselves is annoying and un respectful.
In the next step the facilitators gave us some “trigger words”- word that may cause an emotional reaction- and we were asked to reply with the first things that came in our mind. These words were: Terrorism: related with concepts like extremism, globalization, 9/11 and Israel.
Israel: some “Western” people associated it to religion, while the others linked this word with anger, hatred and violence.
United States: bitter-sweet feelings came out from this word. I think that the majority of us had a sort of attraction toward this country, but we were conscious of all the curses of being an international power, including the aggressive policy toward the other countries.
Then we have been divided in two separated groups – Westerns and Middle Eastern – and we’ve been moved into two different rooms. We did so in order to discuss in a more open way about our past meetings, telling our impressions and ours critics.
Even if I understood that it has been done with the purpose of making us feel more comfortable, I didn’t quite liked this. I wanted to share my opinions with the whole group, not only with few of them, and I wanted to hear what everyone has to say. However, I think that this helped a lot our attitude, and maybe especially for those who are more shy, because of culture as it may be for the Arab girls, or just because of natural attitude, felt they can better express themselves in a smaller and heterogeneous group. In fact when we reunited I turned out that all of us had the feeling that there was a sort of “barrier of politeness” that didn’t allowed us to express freely. We all agreed in the need of being 100% direct and honest, and to get to know each other as persons. And I was very glad to hear that also a guy from the other group shared my feeling and disliked the fact that we have been divided.
This session left me very satisfied, as I feel like we finally created a more personal connection. I am really excited about the next meeting, when we will have the chance to take the most from discussing the lectures.
Questo commento è stato eliminato da un amministratore del blog.
RispondiEliminaMy third Soliya session (1st November):
RispondiEliminaThis time I had to connect from my house and I had little problems with my connection. To tell the truth, it didn't surprise me...I'm accustomed with my computer. Initially everything was working well. I was working on Soliya's videos but suddenly, when it was the time, I started to search the best position in the house to better receive the connection. I will not write details of how I had to move wardrobes and tables in the room:)...I attend the session a little worn out.
Despite this mishap, I felt totally at ease. The group was more confidential. It is normal if I compare with the beginning. I'm happy for that. Of course we were still few and it is a big shame in view of the Soliya's purpose. I don't want to complain about it anyway. I find this interesting in any case!
Like always, we started with a conversation to get acquainted. We had to say 3 phrases about us, two true and one false. Then we had to guess the false one. Less or more, we all were right. This shown that we are starting to know each other. Riddles were relating to beautiful hand-writing, going to church every week or to be easily manipulated from others and so on...
Afterwards we entered more in our topic with an important question: "speak about the most important religious or spiritual experience in your life. How did it affect you as a religious or spiritual person today?" Our answers were all different but, in my opinion, the more important reply was Manar's one. It was a little personal, so I will not write it in this diary. Already I feel we are creating a friendly relationship. After this conversation I can say we shared something important. I think I can speak in the name of all the group: something moved on.
In the one hand, Manar (the only Muslim girl) clarified how she became more religious than she already was. In the other hand, we (the rest of the group) haven't had experiences who brought us to be more spiritual. On the contrary, we said how we are walking away from the church. In particular, it seemed to us that more we are growing up, more we convince ourselves about it. Personally I tried to explain why. I told them how I see this "institution", principally I did it with some examples from my little town. I told them my perception of every mass as a fashion victim parade; envelopes for oblations, sent at home, are not anonymous. They control how much you have given them an so on. It shouldn't be this way. Church and its worship should be simpler.
After this matter we, naturally, focused on religious practices. Specially, we wanted to understand the real mean of some of them (like going to the church). Then we asked what is the difference between going to a mosquee and going to a church. It is interesting to note that Manar affirmed that there is corruption everywhere in Palestine but not in the mosquee. The money they collect are for the people. From the Western side, we surely can't say the same. There are many associations for solidarity related to the church but there are many doubts about the real destination of all donations. There is a lack of transparency, although I'm sure that some of them are truly designated to good aims.
Then we had spoken of the women role in these religious practices and how they participate to the worship. In a increasing way, we talked about the difference between women and men behaviours in the place of worship. We discovered that a Muslim woman couldn't go to the mosquee except for big feast like the Eid. A Muslim should pray five time a day. The men can go to the mosquee, whereas women stay at home mostly. It seemed strange for me the fact that man can leave the work to go praying to the mosquee. I don't think in our society you could have this freedom.
RispondiEliminaTherefore, we observed that to be a "real Muslim" you have to do all that it has been established for you. In reverse, to be a Catholic doesn't bring all these obligations: the end is to follow good principles but it seems we have lost the "practice" itself. A good way to be Catholic is to be good yourself, not to go every week to the church. (I'm just summarizing here of course :)) After that we went into a conversation focused in the purpose of life. Manar saw in the religion the answer to that. The others were more "scientific": just respect others and the nature around us.
So, always related to the religion practice, we spoke about the veil. To "justified" it, Manar told us that she feels comfortable and protected with it. Further she feels more free with it on. I knew that the veil should be a personal choice, but she answered me that she have always seen all her family women with it, so she can't even remember when she put it on...That seems to me not a really free choice but not an obligation too.
Finally we talked about what do we think fundamentalism is. It was clear that all of us saw it like something negative, like a distortion from the reality and a bad way to use religion ideas. Then we arrived to the question: can we be strongly religious but still tolerant? We didn't have enough time to respond precisely to this question.
The facilitators left few minutes to explain us the video project too.
I just wanted to add something. I'm glad to have met the 6students we are from Padua. Last meet we had surprised me when I realised that we are only us...In our meeting, we have spoken about the discrimination and the mistrust there is even between Westerners! So we can imagine how it is between the West and the Muslim world. However these sad thoughts, I liked the meeting. I just believe we have to continue behaving like this...Trying to do our little to see things change.
I conclude saying that I want to exploit this program! I should be more "Italian" (like Paolo says: ask!ask!ask!;) The better solution would be to prepare something before to share. I'm thinking about the Palestine case most of all.
November 2nd – the third meeting
RispondiEliminaAs usual, at the beginning we had some technical problems, but nothing serious.
Right away Jeannine made a question: How did you celebrate Halloween? Most of us celebrated with friends, wearing a mask or a costume, and spending the night for fun.
After that we started talking about stereotypes. Everyone had to think about one situation of his/her life when had to do with that. I liked the idea of Hasan: to be stereotyped is like being deprived of our identity. Even if the stereotypes can be positive or negative, it’s always a “wrong” idea about someone and this does not help to have a right idea about the world we live in.
Using trigger words - words that may cause an emotional reaction - the facilitators have stimulated a discussion. We had to say the first thing that came in our mind while listening a certain word. The three words were terrorism, Israel, United States. The words matched with terrorism were extremism, globalization, September 11. The word Israel has been put together with Judaism, Christian origin, anger and tyrants. The reactions to the last word, United States, were: freedom, power, opportunities, dreams, pride for country… This sort of “game” helped us to be more spontaneous and I liked it.
At this point of discussion we were divided in two groups, Middle East/Arab and Western/American. Obviously I chose the second one. We were asked how we feel in the group and about the group process. We talked again about being open and honest, and that we all have a little fear to speak what we think. This language barrier is an old story unfortunately… Sarah said that a way to get closer is to create a vocabulary that we can use in our conversation starting from the texts that we have to read before the session.
Once we were all together again, we shared the ideas. The watchword was yearning. A lot of curiosity, desire to get in deep with information, to share the personal point of view, without fear to speak what we really think.
One step at the time, the project is bearing fruits and we are all happy to see that.